POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux in javascript : Re: Linux in javascript Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:13:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux in javascript
From: Invisible
Date: 19 May 2011 04:10:26
Message: <4dd4d072@news.povray.org>
>>> Actually, it isn't - virtualizing virtualization solutions doesn't tend
>>> to work very well at all.
>>
>> QEMU doesn't use hardware virtualisation. It does software emulation
>> only. This is why it's trivial to do what I described.
>
> Even for software-based virtualization (emulation is different), it
> wouldn't work so well, to the best of my knowledge.

My understanding is that QEMU does full software emulation of the guest
system. (It can even emulate an architecture different than the one it's
running on.) Assuming it emulates the full capabilities of the guest, I
don't see why you can't run QEMU inside QEMU.

If it's using the host hardware to accelerate things, then that of
course is a different matter. Generally the scheme only supports one
layer of virtualisation, not two.

>> For stuff that uses real hardware virtualisation... yeah, that tends not
>> to work. Although I have successfully run VirtualBox inside VMware
>> Workstation. (Had to tweak some options though, turning off some of the
>> hardware acceleration...)
>
> It can be done, sure; it's not very stable.

I'm sure it's not a very "supported" route, but I managed to get Windows
XP running inside Windows XP (running inside Windows XP). I only
actually wanted to see what VirtualBox is like, without installing it
for real. (Isn't that the point of desktop virtualisation? To test
things without "really" installing them?) I wouldn't recommend using
such a configuration "for real", no.