POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Linux in javascript : Re: Linux in javascript Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:18:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Linux in javascript
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 May 2011 18:37:47
Message: <4dd44a3b$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 18 May 2011 22:26:54 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> On 18/05/2011 10:04 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 18 May 2011 14:55:33 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>>
>>> For that matter, it should be fairly trivial to run QEMU inside QEMU
>>> inside QEMU, so...
>>
>> Actually, it isn't - virtualizing virtualization solutions doesn't tend
>> to work very well at all.
>
> QEMU doesn't use hardware virtualisation. It does software emulation
> only. This is why it's trivial to do what I described.

Even for software-based virtualization (emulation is different), it
wouldn't work so well, to the best of my knowledge.

> For stuff that uses real hardware virtualisation... yeah, that tends not
> to work. Although I have successfully run VirtualBox inside VMware
> Workstation. (Had to tweak some options though, turning off some of the
> hardware acceleration...)

It can be done, sure; it's not very stable.  I've spent time working with
virtualization and doing something like trying to run XEN under VMware is
possible and sometimes works, but not reliably enough for what I needed
it for.

Jim