POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Haskell fanning : Re: More Haskell fanning Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Haskell fanning
From: Darren New
Date: 18 May 2011 18:28:46
Message: <4dd4481e@news.povray.org>
On 5/18/2011 14:50, Florian Pesth wrote:
> Sure that there is no call for saying "Lock this file definitely" and the
> other lock mechanisms are just kept for POSIX compability?

Yes. The basic problem is that none of the lock mechanisms actually work
reliably in all situations.

> I think this is also older...

One problem is that there's at least 3 ways of doing this in Linux, all
three relatively recent.

One would give you a signal when a file in the one single directory you're
watching (maybe just the cwd) changed. Not very handy except for the
refreshing of a window in a file manager.

One would do some sort of something or other with messages sent to you
somehow I forget when anything under a particular file tree changed, IIRC.
It was poor because, IIRC, you had to block to wait for the messages or
something.

The latest one, done right, lets you open a file handle, writing to the
handle says what you're waiting to see change, reading the (selectable)
handle lets you know when something there changed and what it was.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like