POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Haskell fanning : Re: More Haskell fanning Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:12:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Haskell fanning
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 18 May 2011 16:52:01
Message: <4dd43171@news.povray.org>
On 18/05/2011 07:01 PM, Florian Pesth wrote:

>> I don't know a great deal about the inner workings of Windows or Unix.
>> But there are a number of things that Windows seems to do better:
>>
>> - File permissions. None of this chmod 664 nonsense. You can set
>> arbitrary combinations of permissions for any number of users and
>> groups.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Access_control_list#Filesystem_ACLs

I'm not sure what the relevance of this link is.

I'm aware that a couple of people have hacked propper ACLs into recent
Linux kernels. This doesn't change the fact that the entire Unix
ecosystem still assumes that permissions are set via flat bitmasks. It's
almost infeasible to change this and still call the result "Unix".

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/