POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Haskell fanning : Re: More Haskell fanning Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:21:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Haskell fanning
From: Darren New
Date: 17 May 2011 11:56:21
Message: <4dd29aa5$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/17/2011 8:32, Invisible wrote:
> Erlang sends an index into the BEAM file, the eventual Haskell
> implementation is going to send linker labels (i.e., indexes into the
> executable image).

Well, note that there's two versions, from different releases of the VM.

> I notice also that Erlang sends "Uniq", which is "the hash value of the
> parse for the fun". In other words, it sounds like it's a cryptographic hash
> function of the syntax tree for the function's source code. Which is pretty
> much what the Haskell people are talking about for version control.

I believe that's correct. And the old version sent the MD5 of the range of
bytes that implement the function, or something. (It's actually the AST,
which is available also as part of the macro expansion phase of compilation.)

> So the description is "far from complete"? That's really helpful.

Yet typical for open source, where proponents often claim that the code *is*
the documentation.

> Oh, but
> the protocols "are stable since many years". So I'm guessing English isn't
> your first language then? :-P

Uh, no. Ericcson.com, corporate headquarters Stockholm, Sweden.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like