POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POVRay 3.62 weirdness : Re: POVRay 3.62 weirdness Server Time
26 Jun 2024 02:41:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POVRay 3.62 weirdness
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 17 May 2011 10:08:58
Message: <4dd2817a$1@news.povray.org>

> By popular request, I've moced this from bugreports into New Users.

   Perhaps people has a reason to ask for it... :)

>> Try
>>
>> texture { pigment { color rgb<1.0,1.0,1.0>  } }
>>
>> for starters.
>>
>> (Maybe you also want to read the tutorial section of the Fine
>> Manual ;-))
>
> So when I used color Blue in the sphere definition, that's not
> enough? It was before.

  No, the "color Blue" statement is not on that sphere... it is on the
sphere inside the difference declared as "hollebollegijs", which indeed
is never used on the scene: look again at your own code...

> Oh and about the light source being right behind the camera, when I
> fixed that (see the current version of bollen-1.pov: I went from
> <0,0,-10000.0> to <20,10,-10.0>, in all respects that's not behind
> the camera, nor straight in front of it) the pov still rendered only
> a 2-tone image. why does http://home.ooijer.com/hsp/bollen-1.pov
> render like http://home.ooijer.com/hsp/bollen-1.jpg (in flat B&W)?
> (and http://home.ooijer.com/hsp/bollen-01.pov renders like
> http://home.ooijer.com/hsp/bollen-01.jpg

  Look, bollen-1.pov still has the light at <0.0,0.0,-10000.0>, while the
camera is at <0.0,0.0,20.0>, and the sphere is <0,0,2>, so logically you
can only see the unlighted side of the sphere against the white
background.

   On bollen-01.pov you changed the background to black, and the light
position to <0.0,0.0,10000.0>, so now you are lighting the visible side
of the sphere, tough the light is very faint and distant, so it's
dark... again logical with respect to your scene setup.

> if anyone would edit my pov and make it work, then send it to me,
> that would be more constructive than this to-ing and fro-ing.

   I don't see how that would be constructive at all... it would help you
getting this done, but nothing more. You will learn nothing, because you
will not see in other's code what you are not seeing on your own code.
The most constructive thing for you will be to follow the "beginning
tutorial" on the docs, because then you could easily figure out the
solutions to all of your current problems, or at least understand the
explanations offered by others.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia