POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : AO experiments : Re: AO experiments Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AO experiments
From: clipka
Date: 16 May 2011 00:27:15
Message: <4dd0a7a3@news.povray.org>
Sorry for the late reply, I'm a "bit" behind in this newsgroup...

Am 06.04.2011 20:47, schrieb Jim Holsenback:

>> In this text scene, the texturing is still rather simple. To add /any/
>> challenge at all, I applied some 10-layer micronormals-based blurred
>> reflection to the floor. More complex scenes may show a more pronounced
>> speed advantage of the AO-based approach.
>>
>> While this approach may not work equally well in other environments, I
>> guess the idea is worth being pursued further.
>
> The AO shadows look much smoother ... but what I was really interested
> in what what you said about the floor. A layer texture? ... or some
> other voodoo! ;-)

Not actually a layered texture, but an average texture:

#declare Tx = texture {
   pigment {color rgb <0.776,0.706,0.706>}
   finish {ambient 0.2 diffuse 0.6 reflection { 0.0 1.0 fresnel }
conserve_energy }
   normal { bumps 0.5 scale 0.0001 }
}
plane {y,0
   texture { average
     texture_map {
       [1 Tx translate y*0.00]
       [1 Tx translate y*0.01]
       [1 Tx translate y*0.02]
       [1 Tx translate y*0.03]
       [1 Tx translate y*0.04]
       [1 Tx translate y*0.05]
       [1 Tx translate y*0.06]
       [1 Tx translate y*0.07]
       [1 Tx translate y*0.08]
       [1 Tx translate y*0.09]
     }
   }
   interior { ior 1.5 }
}

The classic micronormals approach that doesn't need anti-aliasing or
focal blur to work. Voodoo, but nothing new.