POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More Haskell fanning : Re: More Haskell fanning Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:13:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More Haskell fanning
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 15 May 2011 13:26:35
Message: <4dd00ccb$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/05/2011 11:22 AM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid XP v8<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> I'm fairly sure I posted one in the other group a while back. Heck, I
>> even got qsort() from stdlib.h to work arbitrary Haskell data types,
>> just because Warp said it wasn't possible.
>
>    While calling C's qsort() from Haskell is impressive, you still failed
> to demonstrate the next challenge, which was to properly handle C bitfields.

I thought the next level was setjmp()?

> So there's still potentially something that Haskell cannot do with C... :P

If it's really that hard, ask C to do it, and call C from Haskell.

For that matter, C can't access [non-trivial] Haskell data either. If
your C program wants to, say, access the 7th element of a Haskell list,
it has to call Haskell and ask Haskell to fetch it and return something
simple enough for C to comprehend. (The 7th element might not *exist*
yet, for example...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/