POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Data compression : Re: Data compression Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:15:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Data compression
From: Darren New
Date: 10 May 2011 14:23:53
Message: <4dc982b9$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/10/2011 10:13, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> I can only imaging it was the latter. This particular CD is modern
> electronic dance music, after all.

Yeah, I usually encounter it on albums that were old on vinyl. :-)

> You can't tell that information has been lost unless you can tell that
it
> was there in the first place. And if you can tell there's something mis
sing
> just by looking at what's still there, there's redundancy.

Except you can compare to that which you've heard elsewhere. Have you eve
heard someone do a call-in phone interview on the radio? Could you tell t
he
difference between the DJ's voice and the phoned-in voice, even though yo
might never have heard either before? It's because you know what tonal
ranges you should be hearing.

You can tell an over-compressed violin because you're comparing it to oth
er,
uncompressed violins in your memory. Even if there's no redundancy left.

Indeed, why do you not think you're hearing a lack of redundancy?

> Take any piece of sound. Apply too much MP3 compression. You can hear t
he
> quantinisation steps in the signal levels.

OK.

> This isn't that bad, of course. You have to listen fairly hard to hear
it.
> Then again, I'm the sort of person who owns a £100 set of headphon
es and a
> £300 CD player, so...

Yep.

--