POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Only two weeks until the End of the World : Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 May 2011 19:31:45
Message: <4dc727e1$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 08 May 2011 12:31:30 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 5/8/2011 12:02, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Well, it has to be something issued by the state, too.  You can't
>> create an ID as well - the ID has to be created and verified by a
>> trusted authority.
>
> You're still conflating accidental identification with the purpose of
> looking at the ID in the first place.
>
> I don't need ID to prove I'm old enough to buy alcohol. Nobody cares who
> I am. I don't get carded at all, because simply showing my face is
> enough to prove I'm old enough.

Well, no, it's about whether the data matches the identity.  In the cases
of some individuals (you and me, for example), one look is sufficient to
make a judgment call.  For others, like my wife, it's not.  If the ID she
presented was a fake (ie, her identity wasn't assured), then you can bet
that the fact that it says she's in her 40s would be insufficient.

Jim