POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Only two weeks until the End of the World : Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:16:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World
From: Darren New
Date: 8 May 2011 12:29:20
Message: <4dc6c4e0@news.povray.org>
On 5/8/2011 0:48, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> Of course, you need a passport to get back
>> into the country if you leave(*)
>
>    That would be unconstitutional here. You can't stop a citizen from
> entering the country.

Well, that's probably the case here. And given our national nuttiness about
terrorists, it's possible you wind up in some sort of trouble for not having
your passport.

My point wasn't that you don't get in without the passport as much as it was
"the purpose of a passport is to get in." Each ID is issued for a particular
purpose, and there are very few forms of ID issued as "this is ID that
doesn't come with anything more than just ID."  States will issue this sort
of thing if you ask for it, but it's a convenience for dealing with places
(like bars) that might want to see ID that don't issue their own.

>    (Of course if you try to enter the country with some other form of ID
> than your passport, it will probably take longer than the usual 10 seconds
> it takes with a passport. I don't know what it would involve, but probably
> more scrutiny, perhaps even paperwork. If you don't have *any* form of ID,
> it will probably take a lot longer to prove your citizenship in some other
> way. However, constitutionally you are allowed to enter the country as a
> matter of course, if you are a citizen. The constitution does not mention
> passports as a requirement.)

I would guess it's similar here, even tho our constitution doesn't
specifically provide for that.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like