POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Only two weeks until the End of the World : Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:11:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World
From: Darren New
Date: 8 May 2011 12:25:31
Message: <4dc6c3fb$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/8/2011 9:06, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Sat, 07 May 2011 23:28:15 -0700, Darren New wrote:
>
>> On 5/7/2011 19:56, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> or not (like buy cigarettes or alcohol), having your identity verified
>>
>> No, that's my point. You only have to prove how old you are, not who you
>> are.
>
> But one's age is one property of one's self.  If your identity can't be
> verified, then how does one know the information on this 'ID' is yours
> and not somebody elses?

That's why I said "in practice"...

> I don't think it's a matter of recording it or not.

If they don't record your name or address, then the ID isn't needed to do
what you're doing. Just proof of age. They're using the card not to identify
you, but to determine your age. They haven't identified you if 5 seconds
after they look at your ID they don't remember your name, any more than
they've already identified you by looking at your face.

 > To issue a state ID,
> you have to prove who you are - without that proof, the ID is meaningless
> and the state won't issue it.

Oh, well, sure. But you don't have to prove who you are to buy alcohol. You
only have to prove how old you are. You don't have to prove who you are to
drive - you only have to prove you have a driver license. In practice,
nobody is going to issue a photo ID with only your age on it and not your
name and address, but the *law* doesn't say you have to provide ID. But if a
state issued ID with just your picture and your birthday, you could buy beer
with that. And other IDs can be used instead. (I can imagine, for example, a
grocery near a college taking college ID with a photo as proof of age to buy
beer.)

Contrast with, say, immigration control, where you actually *do* have to
prove who you are.  Or (getting back to the original point) countries where
the police can ask you at any time to prove your identity.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like