POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Only two weeks until the End of the World : Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:13:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 8 May 2011 12:06:48
Message: <4dc6bf98$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 07 May 2011 23:28:15 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 5/7/2011 19:56, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> or not (like buy cigarettes or alcohol), having your identity verified
>
> No, that's my point. You only have to prove how old you are, not who you
> are.

But one's age is one property of one's self.  If your identity can't be
verified, then how does one know the information on this 'ID' is yours
and not somebody elses?

> Now, in practice, there isn't really any ID that can prove how old you
> are without also saying who you are, but there's no theoretical reason
> there couldn't be an ID that gives your age and your photo without your
> name. And for this sort of thing, people check your ID but don't record
> who you are, so it's pretty much the same thing.

I don't think it's a matter of recording it or not.  To issue a state ID,
you have to prove who you are - without that proof, the ID is meaningless
and the state won't issue it.

Jim