POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Only two weeks until the End of the World : Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:25:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Only two weeks until the End of the World
From: Darren New
Date: 7 May 2011 20:23:33
Message: <4dc5e285$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/7/2011 16:48, Jim Henderson wrote:
> That's true in some states, but not in Utah.  In Utah they require an ID,
> and there's been a lot of discussion about whether or not that
> constitutes a poll tax or not.

Oh, I forgot to add, you can almost always get a government ID for free, or
the government would have a hard time requiring you to have an ID to get
various services. E.g., most anywhere you get a driver's license, you can go
to get a non-driver ID using the same evidence you use to prove your ID.

So, in other words, the ID isn't to ID you. It's to prove you're allowed to
do whatever the ID is allowing you to do, here. You never actually have to
prove you are who you say you are, AFAIK. You only have to prove you have a
right to get what you're after, and sometimes that involves providing some
sort of ID that can be checked. If the police stop you just walking down the
road, you don't have to prove who you are, even if they decide to arrest you
for something.  (The whole "right to not incriminate yourself" is about as
well supported as the "right to free speech" bit here, unlike many other of
the supposedly involatile rights.)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like