POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Install for multiple users : Re: Install for multiple users Server Time
27 Apr 2024 03:02:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Install for multiple users
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 6 May 2011 18:03:30
Message: <4dc47032$1@news.povray.org>
Erich wrote:

> It seems pretty concrete to me already, but I have no idea how to
> create an extension to the/any installer.  I don't actually think
> it's an installer function.  Look at Mozilla apps for examples.  I
> modify the default prefs.js file for Thunderbird, but the default
> Windows profile has no Thunderbird settings whatsoever.  When a user
> starts Thunderbird for their first time, it makes no difference
> whether they were already a user on that system.

This is actually a form of installer functionality. The part of
the installer that creates per-user files could be "advertised" so
it runs when the user first attempts to start the application.

According to this thread,

http://news.povray.org/povray.beta-test/thread/%3Cweb.4c53e2dba045f70ec0721a1d0@news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=359570&toff=50

that was at least intended to be in the final release.

> I'm willing to use another option (though also not ideal) and put the
> folder into the "Public Documents" folder so that all users could
> function, but I don't know how to get POV-Ray to recognize that
> location.

I think it's currently not possible, which is also inconvenient in
other scenarios. Note that Vista or higher seems to support symbolic
links, so it might be possible to avoid the copying into user
profiles and redirect to a shared location.