POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Persistence of Fashion : Re: Persistence of Fashion Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:26:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Persistence of Fashion
From: nemesis
Date: 5 May 2011 12:31:51
Message: <4dc2d0f7$1@news.povray.org>
gregjohn escreveu:
> Nemesis, as per Classroom 2010:  It's very cool.  I love the first view of the
> electronics desk. But I don't like the view of the backs of the chairs. There's
> too many defects in the chairs and windows. I don't like a wooden, formulaic use
> of the elements or realism, to the point of distraction. That I believe was the
> problem with "Rango" which didn't break even in 9 week's box office, whereas
> "Rio" broke even in three weeks.

BTW, I watched both and Rango is a clear winner.  Much, much better
storytelling and clever dialoguing.  Rio, as breaks my heart to say, is
pure visual display and most no substance.  But as a brazilian, I have
to say Carlos Saldanha certainly knows Brazil inside out too well -- the
monkeys resembling street kids are spot on.

But behind all the flash, dancing, music and visuals there's too little.
  Even Ice Age style gags are far and few.  Rango provides drama and
comedy in the right doses, with incredibly realistic imagery.  OTOH, it
appeals more to an older audience (who would know the Durango western
reference) than kids.  My daughter enjoyed Rio better of course.

Also, Rio has been highly publicized.  I never heard of Rango until
seeing a poster at the movie theather.

> If Ive went and put a whole bunch of scratches and dirt and lens flares, I
> predict he'd get less "box office" at zazzle.

That's possible.  After all, it's just a photograph -- in the broadest
sense as record of light impression -- of an old and dusty classroom.
Only art elements there are the composition and the warm old film
postprocessing.  Certainly Ive's shoes score much higher in the

Still, the craft itself and the staggering amount of work obviously at
display there make it standout by itself.

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9