POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer games : Re: Computer games Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:24:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer games
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 3 May 2011 17:09:49
Message: <4dc06f1d$1@news.povray.org>
>> Seriously. Cryostasis was hopeless.
>
> interesting. Some people were telling it was pretty good. What about the
> plot? (I think they were praising it mainly)...

It had potential... but it failed to deliver.

For a start, the game is very slow and rather buggy, which is never
good. (I was running it with an nVidia GeForce 260 GPU and an admittedly
outdated dual-core CPU, but others have reported poor performance.)

The story looks interesting, but it doesn't really make sense. It looks
like you're learning more about the fate of the ship as the game goes
on, and by the end all will be explained... but it isn't. Things start
out sane enough, but by the end any pretense of realism is long gone and
you're just having impossible paranormal events thrown at you at random,
for no defined reason. And then suddenly the game just ends.

The concept of heat and cold is interesting. You walk into a dark,
silent, ice-laden room. You flick a switch, and it gradually turns into
a loud, hot, steamy, brightly-lit space. Which *could* have been quite
effective, if it wasn't done so poorly. When one wall melts completely,
and the wall right next to it is still perfectly frozen, it kinda spoils
the effect. And the "melting" is just some trivial texture effects that
don't look especially convincing.

This is focusing on the *good* aspects of the game. The bad aspects
include... everything else. Combat is awful. The whole game is set
onboard a ship, so all the levels look nearly identical; no exploration
value there then! What does that leave? The interesting story that
gradually stops making sense and then suddenly ends? Yay, great game.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/