POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer games : Re: Computer games Server Time
26 Sep 2024 17:44:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer games
From: Warp
Date: 3 May 2011 14:28:34
Message: <4dc04951@news.povray.org>
nemesis <nam### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> BTW, Pac-man was pretty casual:  you inserted a coin, played for
> high-scores or until you ran out of coins.  Most old arcade games were
> like that and at the same time were also pretty hardcore in the
> challenge level.  COD is one such casual game today, except it's not
> nearly as hardcore in the challenge.

  It's not so much about how easy it is to play. Certainly there are
blockbuster-budgeted ginormous multi-gigabyte games which are really
easy to learn and play, and can be easily played in short sessions.
Yet those are seldom classified as casual games.

  Of course the definition of "casual game" is a pretty fuzzy one, and
no single definition is going to cover all possible casual games (which,
at the same time, also usually covers games which are not generally
considered as such).

  Any definition would also have to be take the time period into account.
What was a "big" game 15 years ago (say, Doom) might not be such today.
(By today's standards Doom is a really tiny game in all possible respects,
except perhaps length.)

> >   Try to find a tetris game for the iPhone or the Android. I won't hold
> > my breath.

> Touch interface decidedly demands new play controls, like pulling an
> elastic cord until you can release a bird.  Old direction and buttons
> don't work for touch interface, you don't have tactile feedback for you
> actions.  No, some rumble won't do it.

  That's not the problem.

--
                                                          - Warp