POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Computer games : Re: Computer games Server Time
29 Jul 2024 20:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Computer games
From: nemesis
Date: 3 May 2011 14:01:44
Message: <4dc04308$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> Let's look at Abe's Odyssey again. Basically it's a 2D platformer. You
> know, like Manic Miner or Sonic the Hedgehog or Super Mario.

It's got nothing to do with arcade platformers like Sonic or Mario.
It's much closer to the "realistic" platform style of Prince of Persia
or Another World/Flashback.

> But unlike
> any of these, it has lush fantasy-world computer graphics and truly
> atmospheric soundscapes.

Its lush fantasy-world CG and atmospheric soundscapes are as good and
dated as those of Sonic or Mario.  Well, slightly less dated since it's
a 32-bit game and you're obviously comparing to the old 8 and 16-bit
Mario and Sonic games.

> And it has bizarre alien lifeforms. It's an
> audio-visual experience that you keep playing just to see what's on the
> next screen.

Just like good ol' Sonic... :p

> Yes, it's a 2D playformer. But no, it would have been impossible before
> the era of 24-bit graphics and digital audio playback [not to mention
> harddrives that can hold gigabytes of data].

It was released for Playstation 1 on CD and no HD.

> In short, there are people who think alpha games are obsolete, and
> people who take them seriously. I'm now going to talk about a couple of
> alpha games.

Just like in cinema, there's space for all -- AAA big-budget
blockbusters, indies, authoral...  Movies began short and fun with many
pies on faces.  And yet it progressively adopted much drama from
theather and developed its own media language.  Yet, we still have many
pies on faces today, despite not being B&W anymore.

> Perhaps most annoying, the demo uses the same three 45-second music
> loops for all its levels (of which there aren't many). But the full game
> uses... THE EXACT SAME THREE MUSIC LOOPS! >_< Jesus, I got so sick of
> hearing them!

Some days I loop some music piece all day long.  ah, the marvels of
technology.  I believe Sam would take his gun and shoot you if you asked
him to play it again for the 10th time straight... LOL

so, have you played the damned Angry Birds already after all? :p

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9