From: Alain
Date: 26 Apr 2011 13:38:05
Message: <4db702fd@news.povray.org>
Le 2011/04/26 12:49, Darren New a écrit :
> On 4/26/2011 9:04, Alain wrote:
>> I don't beleive that Elvis is dead because I do KNOW that he's dead!
>
> See, that sentence is nonsensical to me. That's not how the word
> "believe" is defined for me. It's like saying "I'm not driving a
> vehicle, I'm driving my *car*."

My native language is French.
"to beleive" translate to "croire"
"to know" translate to "connaitre" or "savoir"

In French, "croire" imply an impression or a guess. That makes the two
terms realy distinct.
"savoir" means actual, factual, knowlege devoid of any beleif or impression.

Thus, for me, "beleive" is very, extremely, different from "know".

Alain