From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Apr 2011 19:42:27
Message: <4db606e3@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 25 Apr 2011 16:35:19 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Tell me what word you'd use to mean what I mean by belief.

"I think it's true" fits well here.  There's a difference, though,
between "I think it's true" and "I know it's demonstrably true".  The
latter doesn't require belief, because one can demonstrate the truth of
the statement.

So really, it comes to me as :

True:  Something that can be verified in the real world.

Justified belief:  Something that one thinks the evidence points strongly
to; something that one has studied.

Unjustified belief:  Something that one thinks the evidence points
strongly to, but something that one hasn't studied in-depth.

Faith:  Something that one has no understanding of the evidence for or
against, but is inclined to believe to be true nonetheless, perhaps even
in the face of evidence against it being true.

False:  Something that can be verified to not be true

Not sure that that's the complete scale or even an accurate scale, but
maybe a point of discussion can form around it.

Jim