From: Darren New
Date: 25 Apr 2011 19:38:06
Message: <4db605de$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/25/2011 16:14, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> See, this is just like the argument over theory. We are going around and
> around here, over what is a trinary problem, because someone wants to define
> it as a binary one, by conflating 'certainty' with some sort of 'belief'.

I disagree. I think this is just a discussion over the definitions of words.
I use "belief" to indicate the mental state in which I think something is
true. Someone else is using it to mean the mental state in which I think
something is true but I am not certain. I think I can believe something to
be true of which I am certain. Jim seems to think I cannot believe something
to be true of which I am certain. I would find it very confusing if someone
at Fred's funeral said "I can't believe Fred is dead" and meant it literally.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like