From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Apr 2011 19:14:22
Message: <4db6004e$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/25/2011 2:24 PM, Warp wrote:
> Darren New<dne### [at] sanrrcom>  wrote:
>> If I open my eyes and say "I believe the sun is up already", and then I get
>> out of bed and open the curtain and it's all bright and blue sky out, would
>> you really say "I no longer believe the sun is up"?
>
>    Basically you are stating that there are only two options: Belief and
> disbelief. However, it's not a dichotomy. The third option is what you
> yourself stated in your post: Certainty (which can be either positive or
> negative, so technically speaking there are actually four options).

See, this is just like the argument over theory. We are going around and
around here, over what is a trinary problem, because someone wants to
define it as a binary one, by conflating 'certainty' with some sort of
'belief'. It doesn't matter if certainty is a belief or not, in terms of
internal states, what matters is that their is a clear delineation
between what you are certain of, and to what degree you can apply such
certainty, and what you only assume to be true.