From: Darren New
Date: 25 Apr 2011 18:44:12
Message: <4db5f93c$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/25/2011 14:24, Warp wrote:
> Certainty (which can be either positive or
> negative, so technically speaking there are actually four options).

No. "I no longer believe the sun is up" is not equivalent to "I believe the
sun is not up." The latter would be disbelief.

I believe evolution is true. I believe I'm sitting in front of a keyboard
right now.

Do you believe Elvis is alive?  Do you believe Elvis is dead?  Can you
really answer no to both of those questions?  I don't think that's how a
normal person would treat the word "believe" in everyday English. Except in
a discussion of religion where one side or the other is intentionally trying
to change the meanings of words in order to make it difficult to express the
opinion with which they don't believe, in much the same way as someone will
say "How can you not believe in God when God is Love?"

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like