From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 24 Apr 2011 19:55:26
Message: <4db4b86e$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/24/2011 9:06 AM, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/23/2011 22:05, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Sure, but that's different than when it comes to religion.
>
> I was citing it more as a cause, you see. For so long people have been
> persecuted for heresy that maybe it has just become a normal part of
> culture to avoid discussing it.

Goes beyond that. Even bringing up the subject in the US in the wrong
places/situations results in people screaming that you are persecuting
them, and most of the rest of the people in the room jumping to defend
them (even if they don't share the same faith). Its almost like, among
some Christians, there is a *need* to be persecuted. And, in fact, for
the "end of timers", this is a requirement. If they acknowledged that
they are actually a) over privileged, b) over protected, c) more
powerful than most other groups, d) more numerous, etc., their entire
theological position that the end of times is coming that the first sign
of it being increased persecution of their faith, simply wouldn't be
true at all.