POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Git tutorial : Re: Git tutorial Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:19:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Git tutorial
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 23 Apr 2011 14:58:48
Message: <4db32168$1@news.povray.org>
>> Apparently this doesn't stop people working on the Linux kernel. But it
>> seems really clumsy to me.
>
> It seems clumsy because you keep thinking git is recording changes. You
> keep thinking of "changes" instead of "versions".

That's because "changes" are the logical thing to think about. Take a
look at a bunch of commit messages, and they all tell you about what
just *changed*.

>> Last time I tried downloading the repos for GHC, it was dominated by
>> network latency. Processor usage was almost non-existent.
>
> Yep. But you only got the latest version. If you wanted to get every
> tag, you wind up copying all those files again anyway.

Um... why? The tags are downloaded along with all the rest of the history.

Or perhaps you meant if I wanted GHC-6.6 and GHC-HEAD? In which case, I
gather that Darcs caches patches which have recently been downloaded, so
I would only have to download the handful of patches which are actually
different between the two.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/