POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Git tutorial : Re: Git tutorial Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Git tutorial
From: Darren New
Date: 23 Apr 2011 13:54:29
Message: <4db31255$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/23/2011 4:21, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> "If the conflict is with one of your not-yet-published patches, you may
>> choose to amend that patch rather than creating a resolve patch."
>>
>> And that's exactly what the "git merge" command does.
>
> I thought "git merge" just combines changes, not resolves conflicts.

It doesn't. Altho there's the "git rerere" command, which resolves merge
conflicts the same way you did last time, if you want. :-)

What do you mean by "resolves conflicts"? That's a manual process in git and
in darcs.

> I wasn't even talking about conflicts. I'm talking about the fact that if
> the central repo changes, even in a way which does *not* conflict with your
> changes, you still have to update your local repo, remerge all the changes,
> and try again.

*If* you're *pushing* to a repository that is unattended, yes. How do you do
it in Darcs?  What happens if people push conflicts into the central
repository? Is that where the "we ignore conflicts without telling you" part
comes in?

>> I'll grant you that Darcs is definitely simpler, but I think it's less
>> capable also, and that's the primary place the simplicity comes from.
>
> I disagree, but I don't think this argument is going anywhere productive
> right now.

It's less capable in that you only have one branch in a Darcs repository,
and you have no staging area where you can commit in sections. To the extent
that you avoid doing that in git, they seem pretty much identical to me.

> Yeah, it's only really useful for global names (e.g., functions or types).

Yeah, I try to avoid working in languages with global names. I honestly
don't really even know any languages like that any more. Even global names
in C aren't actually global.

> What should *really* happen is that Darcs looks at your edits and *detects*
> that it's a find-and-replace affecting only certain lines, and record that.

Yeah, when your repository system starts understanding that stuff, it has
some advantages. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like