POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Git tutorial : Re: Git tutorial Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:15:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Git tutorial
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 23 Apr 2011 07:06:30
Message: <4db2b2b6$1@news.povray.org>
On 22/04/2011 12:31 AM, Darren New wrote:

> OK, so say I have a Darcs repository and I'm working on my program. I
> have some changes in my working directory, when I come across a bug. I
> ask you about it, and you say "that's already fixed." Can I pull just
> that one change into my repository?

Obviously yes.

> What if I'm working on version 1 of the program, and you made a fix in
> version 2? How do I handle that?

Depends which way I set it up. If each version of the program is just a
tag, then see the above. If each version is a seperate repo, you just
need to pull from the v2 repo. (How much conflict you'll have to deal
with is another matter - but that's the fun of backporting, eh?)

> Indeed, how do I get out a version of the working directory excluding
> just one particular patch back in time, in order to see (for example) if
> that patch was the cause of a bug?

You say to Darcs "please revert patch #34823". If that doesn't fix your
problem, you say to Darcs "please revert all unrecorded changes" (since
the inverse change you just asked for hasn't been recorded yet). If that
*does* fix your problem... well, you can just hit record, or you can
investigate further to see if you can keep the good parts of the
original patch without causeing problems, or whatever.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/