From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Apr 2011 18:03:47
Message: <4db1fb43@news.povray.org>
On 4/21/2011 3:35 PM, andrel wrote:
>> ID's central premise, sadly, is that it just "poofed" into being. Hell,
>> even the ones arguing "front loading", fail to grasp that any such
>> "master genetic code", to avoid breaking the organism fatally, while
>> inserting new features, has to take clear steps, in which it replaces
>> parts of the system, only as possible, before reaching and end result.
>
> I know it would be hard to find a sensible way to construct something in
> such a way that it could not have been evolved. Precisely because your
> bridge example is a known pitfall (and the paragraphs above therefore
> effectively a strawman argument). But simply the fact that you believe
> it is not possible does not mean you have in any way proven it to be so.
> Man and nature are often more inventive than either of them would have
> though.

Which then brings up Russel's Teapot. Its that a strawman argument, but
an accurate description of the problem. There is no logically
conceivable way that you can construct something in genetics where it
just appears, any more than with a bridge, so trying to find one that
did is like chasing invisible teapots. Its a useless pursuit of
something that you can't be 100% sure doesn't exist, but for which there
are lots, and lots, of evidence to suggest that its simply an
unnecessary complication to go hunting for it.

The first step, if you want to hunt for such a thing, is to come up with
a plausible description of what, and where, it will be found. Given a
few thousands years, some idiot is bound to find a teapot (if for no
other reason that that by then some other idiot will have accidentally
left one in an airlock, before someone else went EVA). By the same
token, if some clown keeps hunting long enough, they are bound to find
something "designed", but not because DNA was designed, but because
someone actually inserts some designed DNA in someone/something, then
dies, or something, without telling anyone.

Its the only conceivable condition where you can spend your time looking
for the genetic equivalent of Bigfoot, and actually find something that
isn't a man in a gorilla suit.