POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Random research : Re: Random research Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random research
From: Warp
Date: 21 Apr 2011 18:39:10
Message: <4db0b20e@news.povray.org>
> On 4/21/2011 14:41, Warp wrote:
> >    I guessed you were talking about Los Angeles, but had to double-check
> > with a quick google search to make sure I wasn't making a wrong assumption.

> That's fair. Just to be clear, I wasn't criticizing. I was honestly
> interested if educated folks in northern europe recognized the name or not.

  Your film industry has made pretty sure that we know the major coastal
cities there... :P (For some reason non-coastal cities are rarer in
Hollywood movies. Las Vegas and Chicago might be about the only
counter-examples. And even then Chicago is technically speaking a coastal
city, although not to the ocean.)

  (Ironically most Hollywood movies are nowadays filmed in Canada, yet
movies seldom depict Canadian cities, and knowledge about them is pretty
scarce.)

> I've given lectures where I'm trying to tell people where I'm from (back
> when I was in Delaware), and there would be people who hadn't heard of
> Philadelphia or Boston, so you'd have to say "halfway between NYC and
> Washington DC", which most everyone had heard of, at least outside of Asia.

  Btw, is just us who are confused by Washington DC and the state of
Washington being at almost opposite ends of the country?

--
                                                          - Warp