POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: Darren New
Date: 21 Apr 2011 12:33:58
Message: <4db05c76$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/21/2011 8:39, Invisible wrote:
>>> I would object to something like storing RFC822 as comments inside your
>>> SMTP implementation.
>>
>> Yeah, that's really not very appropriate.
>
> I may be incorrect here, but didn't Knuth embed The TeX Book in the source
> code for TeX?

Literate programming is something different. In that case, you simply have
one file that has both the compilable code and the documentation discussing
it, with a tool to extract the two.  If you have a programming language in
which comments are *designed* to generate books with tables of contents and
all that sort of stuff, and what you're documenting is the process of
writing the code, then sure, that's not bad.

That's not what I'd consider "comments in the code", tho.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like