From: Jim Henderson
Date: 21 Apr 2011 01:09:53
Message: <4dafbc21@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:08:25 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:

> No it can't. Not in science.

I didn't say "in science".  In common usage, and that's part of the
problem with the Creationist argument (which I stated before):  They
misuse the word "Theory".

Now, if you couple the idea that ID is not science but evolution is, you
can use "theory" in describing both - because one has the context of not
being science, and one has the context of being science.

It is a legitimate *linguistic* usage of the word.  My point was to
illustrate that this is the device used by creationists to argue that
it's science, and it's born out of ignorance of the *scientific* usage of
the word as compared to the 'common usage' use of the word - or it's born
out of malicious use of the same word intended to cause confusion in
those who don't understand that words can actually mean more than one
thing, and that the *context* is important.

Jim