POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Git tutorial : Re: Git tutorial Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:13:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Git tutorial
From: Invisible
Date: 20 Apr 2011 11:49:57
Message: <4daf00a5$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/04/2011 16:40, Darren New wrote:

> The fundamental problem is that all the DVCS systems tend to use crypto
> hashes to identify things. So in git, for example, when you create a
> sub-project, the parent project records where the repository is and what
> commit to check out. If you change the sub-project, the old commit is
> still there; you have just added to it. So the parent project is still
> going to get the old version of the subproject until you tell the parent
> project "hey, go update your pointer to the sub project to be commit
> 01A73F9E."

The problem Git seems to have is that it uses heads to keep track of
things. Delete the head and the corresponding commit drops off the face
of the Earth.

Darcs manages a set [as in set theory] of changes. You don't need to
keep updating a "pointer" to point to the latest one or anything. I'd be
surprised if no over VCS has thought of this.