POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 12:22:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 19 Apr 2011 18:21:19
Message: <4dae0adf$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:24:20 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> On 4/19/2011 14:19, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I kinda agree with you on this point - a lot of development is done in
>> a very collaborative way, so those who could/want to improve tend to
>> not work in isolation, but as part of a team that has ongoing
>> communication.
>
> Bringing someone up to speed on the internals of a project that has no
> internal documentation is extremely time consuming.

Sure, but that's different than poor end-user documentation, that's what
I'm saying.

>> In that respect, OSS isn't much different from closed-source
>> development (at least not in my experience).  Closed-source software is
>> developed before documentation is completed - documentation tends to
>> start being written when the product is installable, because the
>> screens (for example) tend to change before release.
>
> End-user documentation, yes. But most of the OSS projects are released
> before there's any internal documentation either.  Usually even worse.

Most OSS projects rely on code as the internal documentation.  Which I
don't necessarily think is a good thing since not everyone codes in the
same style (though it helps when a project has coding style guidelines, I
think).

Jim