From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 19 Apr 2011 17:38:31
Message: <4dae00d7@news.povray.org>
On 4/18/2011 2:46 PM, andrel wrote:

>>> If you take ID to be the idea that some protein(complexe)s can not have
>>> been evolved from earlier proteins, then that is a testable hypothesis.
>>> Stating and researching that idea was real science.
>>
>> So there's a theory, the theory has been repeatedly proven wrong,
>
> no it hasn't. All *cases* that have been put forward that should have
> shown support have in fact turned out to be in support of evolution.
> That does not prove there are none. For that to prove you need to
> examine all proteins that exist anywhere in nature.

Actually, this represents two huge problems with their hypothesis
(please stop using theory, since that implies they already have some
sort of evidence to imply it is/could be true).

First - Irreducible complexity is a non-starter, since it assumes,
again, without *any* evidence, literally, that if you find a bridge,
where one stone being removed makes it fall, there couldn't have been
any sort of scaffolding to hold it up, later removed, which allowed it
to be constructed. It had to have been intelligently designed. This is
idiotic, since even such a bridge, having been so designed, required
missing steps, which are not obvious from simply saying, "If you remove
that one stone, it will fall down."

Second - If you want to call something a theory, you need to do research
to test it. The only people that have *ever* tested it have been
biologists, and their tests mainly consist of pointing out, usually well
after the fact has already been established in their own research, that
pulling some random thing out and saying, "See, irreducible!", doesn't
work too well when 6 months prior someone had already described why it
wasn't, but the ID people didn't bother to read all of the papers on the
subject. The only "research" these clowns have done, to date, involves
a) writing articles, which often repeat assertions already disproven,
and sometimes using examples already shown to be invalid, b) scouring
other people's work, hoping to find something that is irreducible, and
c) writing more long winded papers, describing their hypothesis, while
usually glossing over, or rarely, making excuses, as to why they can't
yet describe what they are really looking for (in the case of ones like
ontological depth, which they *said* they would have "soon", like 7
years ago), how to find it, how to test it, how you would show it to be
incorrect, through testing, or anything else resembling science.

In short, they have a hypothesis, which they want to fit preconceived
data, but are using philosophy, instead of science, to "prove" it,
wandering about picking up bits of stuff they think fit their useless
guess.Its like if someone thought the debate over the existence of
cyclops in ancient times was real, and they went about declaring that
they *think* they found a skull (really from an elephant), and some big
bones (from some dinosaur), which suggest they are right, and cyclops
actually once existed. Meanwhile, we go on studying elephants, and
digging up dino skeletons, and wondering what these kooks are babbling
about, never mind why anyone is taking them seriously.

There is no science done by ID people, there is no research conducted by
them, unless doing the equivalent of google searches constitutes
"research", and no "theory", just a desperate guess, they want to be
true, so that either God had to do it, or, for some of the crazier ones,
they can take Genesis, and some made up "timeline" for the age of the
earth seriously.