POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:17:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: Invisible
Date: 19 Apr 2011 05:37:01
Message: <4dad57bd@news.povray.org>
On 18/04/2011 17:09, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:02:19 +0100, Invisible wrote:
>
>> In reality, MS Word is /the only/ word processor that anybody ever uses.
>> I tiny few people might use OpenOffice these days, but most people have
>> never heard of it. To them, a word processor = MS Word.
>
> So, where did you pull the statistics for the number of people who use
> OpenOffice?  Did you just invent that statistic, or do you have a
> citation?
>
> Most of the people I deal with use OpenOffice and prefer it to Word.  So
> if you're just going with anecdotal evidence based on your own
> experiences, that's fine, but don't cite that as if it's fact.

Admittedly I don't know hundreds of thousands of people. Still, the vast
majority of people I know IRL don't know what Linux is, have never heard
of Firefox, and think MS Office is the only "proper" office suite. You
know, as if anything you can download for free off the Internet is
either an illegal pirate copy or a shoddy imitation.

If you're going to tell me that among computer experts the picture is
different, then sure. But how many people are computer experts?