From: Alain
Date: 18 Apr 2011 20:08:17
Message: <4dacd271$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2011/04/18 04:15, Invisible a écrit :
> On 17/04/2011 17:07, Darren New wrote:
>> On 4/17/2011 2:57, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> Yes, I know what a crumple zone is. But at 100MPH, there are going to be
>>> fatalities, no matter which way you design a car.
>>
>> I take it the UK doesn't have any Formula-1 races?
>
> Yeah, they do. But I'm pretty sure people driving road cars don't wear
> full-body flame-retardant suits, high-end crash helmets, custom-moulded
> seats, custom-calibrated seatbelts and heat restraints. I'm also fairly
> sure no known road car weighs as little as an F1 car, nor is quite as
> low to the ground. Also, walking around the Silverstone race circuit,
> there is a rather conspicuous absence of solid objects to collide with.
>
> If you crash a road car, you're not going to fly across a gravel trap
> for half a mile and then hit a deformable tire wall. You're either going
> to hit another car, or else a tree or a concrete wall. I doubt anybody
> is going to walk away from that alive.
>
> This is presumably why driving at 100MPH is an instant license
> revocation...

What about a head on colision against a concrete wall at over 200 Km/h?

There was such a crash here at Montréal a few years ago. The pilot was
able to walk shortly after the crash to get into the ambulance. He only
had some bruising.

Thankfuly, those F1 are realy tough, and the restrains excellent!

Alain