POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 08:29:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 18 Apr 2011 14:25:59
Message: <4dac8237$1@news.povray.org>
>> There was a time when searching the manual meant, you know, actually
>> turning
>> pages. I think back when MS used to *print* the manual, they perhaps put
>> more effort into making it worth the paper it's printed on. From what
>> I've
>> seen, today if you ask for help in the latest version of Office, it just
>> takes you to a publicly editable wiki. Great...
>
> Yeah. MS and everyone else seems to have been going downhill in this
> regard. Is Apple as bad, or is their documentation (for programmers)
> actually useful and all?

I couldn't say. It just seems that everybody is putting less effort into
documentation these days.

> I think programming has turned into a social endeavor, where who you
> follow on twitter is as important as having read the manuals.

There was a time when learning to program meant, you know, learning your
complexity classes and stuff, not just knowing what the command syntax is...

>> In reality, MS Word is /the only/ word processor that anybody ever
>> uses.
>
> So, then, obviously not too expensive.

I guess that's why so many people steal it, yes...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/