POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Judgement day : Re: Judgement day Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Judgement day
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 18 Apr 2011 12:22:35
Message: <4dac654b$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 18 Apr 2011 09:27:23 +0100, Invisible wrote:

>>> The other day we were practising for the upcoming competition, and
>>> Debbie told us that enthusiasm is basically more important than
>>> technique. (Provided your technique isn't hopeless, of course.)
>>
>> Enthusiasm is a good thing.  :)
>
> It's harder to fake than skill though. ;-)

Which means you weren't faking it? ;)

>> Only if they have talent.  I've seen people who practice at what they
>> do professionally for thousands of hours a month who still don't do a
>> very good job at it.  Practice helps, but having the innate ability
>> also helps.
>
> My point being that it takes a stupendous level of innate ability for
> someone who can only devote a few hours a week to something to be able
> to out-perform somebody who spends thousands of hours a month at it.

Depends on whether the person spending all that time has any skill.
Practice can't make up for skill, it can only hone existing skills.

>> Building stamina comes with practice.  It can be slow moving, but
>> additional cardio workout probably would help with that, too.  But it
>> takes time.
>
> I think "slow moving" is my entire problem. :-P Then again, I've always
> been a sprinter. Unfortunately, dancing requires stamina, in large
> quantities.

Which means more cardio would help.

I spent a few years going to the gym (if you'll recall) and I was able to
do a lot more.  I stopped going about a year ago and I've noticed a huge
difference (and not a good one).  I'm going to have to start again
because I hate getting winded so easily.

All it would take is 30-45 minutes of solid cardio a day for me.  For you
it might be more or less.

>> In any field, there's always someone who is better or knows more.
>> Welcome to life. :)
>
> My point being, it's no good pretending you're great. There is /always/
> somebody far better than you. It's just a question of how far you have
> to go to find them. In my case, not very far. Then again, I go to the
> same dance school as the reining UK Rock & Roll dance champions...

Have some confidence, man!  You enjoy doing this and you're good at it.
Don't tear yourself down by saying "well, compared to the best in the
world, I suck!" - just give yourself credit for finding something you
like doing and are good at.

Jim