POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Judgement day : Re: Judgement day Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:31:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Judgement day
From: Invisible
Date: 18 Apr 2011 04:27:25
Message: <4dabf5ed$1@news.povray.org>
>> The other day we were practising for the upcoming competition, and
>> Debbie told us that enthusiasm is basically more important than
>> technique. (Provided your technique isn't hopeless, of course.)
>
> Enthusiasm is a good thing.  :)

It's harder to fake than skill though. ;-)

>> Mmmmmmyeah... but the other difference is that a pro usually has the
>> time to dedicate hundreds of hours per month to practise. That makes a
>> big difference.
>
> Only if they have talent.  I've seen people who practice at what they do
> professionally for thousands of hours a month who still don't do a very
> good job at it.  Practice helps, but having the innate ability also helps.

My point being that it takes a stupendous level of innate ability for
someone who can only devote a few hours a week to something to be able
to out-perform somebody who spends thousands of hours a month at it.

> Building stamina comes with practice.  It can be slow moving, but
> additional cardio workout probably would help with that, too.  But it
> takes time.

I think "slow moving" is my entire problem. :-P Then again, I've always
been a sprinter. Unfortunately, dancing requires stamina, in large
quantities.

> In any field, there's always someone who is better or knows more.
> Welcome to life. :)

My point being, it's no good pretending you're great. There is /always/
somebody far better than you. It's just a question of how far you have
to go to find them. In my case, not very far. Then again, I go to the
same dance school as the reining UK Rock & Roll dance champions...