From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Apr 2011 19:42:40
Message: <4daa2970$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/16/2011 10:42 AM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> On 16/04/2011 02:14 PM, Warp wrote:
>
>> Improving public transportation to reduce the need for private cars is
>> another efficient way to reduce pollution.
>
> See, now, where I live, the government thinks that making private
> transport too expensive will make everybody use public transport.
>
> This is absurd, of course. The way to make people use public transport
> is to make it ACTUALLY FRICKING WORK.
>
> I still remember visiting my sister in Manchester one time. I was amazed
> when we just wandered up to the nearest bus stop, stood there for about
> 2 minutes, and a bus arrived. If you did that in my town, you might
> stand there for *days* and never see a bus!

Well, the "government" theory, at least among randian regressives is,
"If we make driving your car expensive, companies will, for some
unspecified reason, invest money in more public transportation, instead
of just adding more and more cost to the already overly costly driving
of cars." These people have stripped so many gears in their heads that
they can't even work out that "public", means, "things not in the
interest of big corporations, who already proved that they would, if
given the task of doing this, pave a road between their warehouse and
their store, while leaving ***every other street*** in the city, or
between cities, dirt." They have no incentive to improve something that
doesn't help their business, and they would have a bus service too and
from work, only for their own employees mind, and not for free, if they
could help it, and then only if they couldn't be sure you would show up
on time if you walked, or they issued you a bicycle. They damn well are
not going to start a light rail system, if they can pay someone half as
much to drive a truck 18 hours a day, for the same distance, even if
building it would mean making money off passengers at the same time
(hell, having to load unload those might delay delivery!).