From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 16 Apr 2011 19:31:34
Message: <4daa26d6@news.povray.org>
On 4/16/2011 3:11 AM, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> I *would* be surprised if you can make a car that can withstand a 100MPH
>>> crash. :-P
>>
>> Yet again, reading comprehension is low. ;-) I didn't say anything about
>> the *car* surviving the crash.
>
> Designing it so the car doesn't survive the crash but the people inside
> do would be even more miraculous...
>
>> It's pretty commonly understood, and really not at all difficult to
>> prove, considering you can go out and buy one of those cars and plug it
>> in to see. It's hard to have controversial statements about things like
>> "how much does gasoline cost?" or "how much electricity does this
>> commercially-available consumer product use?"
>
> It's news to me that anybody is producing electric cars yet. I'm aware
> that they've been producing proof-of-concept designs for decades. But I
> didn't think any of this stuff had reached the shops yet.

A fair percentage of the stuff ending up on the road recently is in this
category, at least in "new" cars, in places where there are credits for
hybred/electric vehicles. It was giving some of the Regressives fits, at
least the full electric ones, at least until they got the message that
we would still, for now, need oil to run the power plants, to charge the
cars. Then they all scrambled to buy power company stocks, while
simultaneously whining at a lower volume anyway.

Part of the lack of whining has also been do to most being "hybred".
But, that is just a way of saying an "electric", which has a generator,
for when you don't have a way to charge the batteries. It adds range,
which hasn't been so good for all electrics, but all the
power/speed/etc. is still in the same motors and electronics for both
types. They also tend to cost more.

I can't find clear statistics on the matter of them though, since they
tend to lump hybred in with pure electric, but..

Chevy Volt - Hybred, 40 miles electric, ???
Coda - 90-120 miles/full electric
Fisker Karma - Hybred 50 miles electric, 300 total, 125mph max speed,
0-60 in 6 seconds.
Tesla Roadster - 245 miles on a charge, full electric?, 0-60 in 3.7
seconds. Top speed = 168.56km/h/104.79 mph - From a drag test done with it.
Think City - 75-100 miles full electric.

So, yeah, they are out there, and some of them, if you can afford them,
are getting insane, like the Tesla.