From: Alain
Date: 16 Apr 2011 14:31:33
Message: <4da9e085@news.povray.org>
Le 2011/04/16 06:09, Orchid XP v8 a écrit :
> On 15/04/2011 07:24 PM, Darren New wrote:
>> On 4/15/2011 10:00, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> If it's so simple and easy, why isn't everyone doing it?
>>
>> Hey, 3GHz 4-core processors only cost like $200. Why didn't we have
>> those back in the original PC?
>
> I've often wondered about this. Why did people design a 33MHz CPU, and
> then a 66MHz one, and then 100MHz, and so forth? Why didn't they just go
> straight to 4GHz?
>
>> The longer the half life, the less radiation is being emitted per pound
>> of material. That just falls out of the definition of half life.
>
> So the radiation is actually *caused by* the substance decaying?

Exactly.

When an uranium nucleus emits an alpha particle, it's no longer uranium
as it just lost 2 protons and 2 neutrons to become thorium. That thorium
will, in turn also deckay into radium, then radon, polonium and finaly
into lead.
This is the alpha deckay of uranium. Plutonium can alpha deckay into
uranium.

The beta radiation is usualy caused when an extra neutron mutate into a
proton. The electron is emited to maintain the electrical balance.
The beta deckay of uranium 238 transforms the uranium into neptunium 238
that further deckay into plutonium 238 in a second beta event.

Alain