POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:13:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 16 Apr 2011 06:18:23
Message: <4da96cef$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/04/2011 07:42 PM, Darren New wrote:
> On 4/15/2011 10:16, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>> So I paid money for some software, but I need to pay more money to
>> find out how to actually use it? WTF?
>
> No. You have to pay money to learn how to fix it. "I paid all this money
> for my car, and when it breaks down I have to pay a mechanic to repair
> it too?"

OK. So if I wanted to do something crazy like make it so that when a
user drag-and-drops a file onto my program's icon, it loads up Excel, my
program fires a bunch of data to it, and Excel generates a graph and
pastes it into the email I'm writing, *that* I would expect to have to
pay money for. Trying to figure out what the options in the settings
dialog do? *That* I would expect to be part of the product documentation.

> Now you're changing what you're talking about again. What word
> configuration are you curious about.

Right now I don't need to look anything up. My point is that every time
I've needed to find something out, I haven't been able to.

>> (and MS products are insanely expensive)
>
> Generally not. Have you looked at the price of something like autocad or
> maya?

That's like saying "housing isn't overpriced at all; have you seen the
price of buying Buckingham Palace?!"

>> But do you? Do you *really*? You still have to figure this crap out,
>> remember? ;-)
>
> Well, I just spent an hour putting my own 2-color trivial model in in
> place of the 1-color trivial model in the demo, and confirmed that it
> works in every configuration *except* the one I actually need to use.

WIN!

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/