POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Apr 2011 14:42:38
Message: <4da8919e$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/15/2011 10:16, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> So I paid money for some software, but I need to pay more money to find out
> how to actually use it? WTF?

No. You have to pay money to learn how to fix it. "I paid all this money for
my car, and when it breaks down I have to pay a mechanic to repair it too?"

> I find it really bizarre that if I want to look up the name of the Win32
> function call to open a new window, that's free, but if I want to find out
> what a particular configuration setting for MS Word does, I have to pay
> money for that. [Or at least, that's what your post implies. I'm not aware
> of this information being available *anywhere*, paid or not.]

Now you're changing what you're talking about again. What word configuration
are you curious about.

> (and MS products are insanely expensive)

Generally not. Have you looked at the price of something like autocad or maya?

> But do you? Do you *really*? You still have to figure this crap out,
> remember? ;-)

Well, I just spent an hour putting my own 2-color trivial model in in place
of the 1-color trivial model in the demo, and confirmed that it works in
every configuration *except* the one I actually need to use.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Coding without comments is like