POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:19:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: Alain
Date: 15 Apr 2011 13:52:04
Message: <4da885c4$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2011/04/15 06:55, Invisible a écrit :

> The Commodore 64 came with an extensive (yet surprisingly small) user
> manual which, as well as telling you how to wire up the device [which
> admittedly isn't that hard] and advertising all the addons you could buy
> [not many], also tells you everything there is to know about programming
> in BASIC. Well, except for the part about how to *design* a program. It
> tells you exactly what every single command and function in the language
> does. [Admittedly, there aren't that many to describe.]
>
> The Sam Coupe had an excellent manual. Actually, it was excellent
> hardware. It's surprising that nobody's ever heard of it. If you imagine
> a C64 or a ZX Spectrum with a 6MHz CPU, 256KB RAM (upgradable to 4MB),
> 128-colour graphics, stereo digital sound and an implementation of BASIC
> with primitives like drawing a curved line with one command, that's
> basically the Sam. The manual was extensive, assumed no prior experience
> with computers, and told you EVERYTHING.

I still have the documentation that came with my Apple ][+. It does
include the full source code, in assembly, of the "system monitor" ROM
code, or bios. It also included the electric scematics.
Add the documentation of 2 flavours of basics: integer only (integer
basic) and floating point support (Applesoft basic, by Microsoft).

Alain