POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Apr 2011 08:51:38
Message: <4da83f5a$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/04/2011 13:34, Stephen wrote:
> On 15/04/2011 11:55 AM, Invisible wrote:
>> Then again, back in the 1980s, how many home users had experience of
>> computers?
>
> All of them or they wouldn't be users :-P
>
> Most people I knew who bought a home computer then had experience of
> them from work.

Really? Interesting... I'm not old enough to know, but I didn't think
that was actually the case in the 80s.

> A question I was often asked was "Why do you want an computer and what
> can you do with it?"

Now *that* is a question worth asking!

The possible answers include:
- Play video games.
- Type letters without having to retype the entire thing if you make one
tiny mistake.
- Store large amounts of information without filling your filling
cabinet. [Assuming you write the software to load and store this stuff
and don't mind waiting 2 hours for it to load off cassette tape.]

>> Today, if you buy a new PC, you don't get a manual at all.
>
> Every laptop I have bought has come with either a CD/DVD manual or a
> manual installed on the HDD.

Really?

> You don't get a manual with a toaster or an electric kettle and that's
> what home computers are now a days, white goods.

Actually, usually you *do* get a manual with toasters and kettles, even
though you don't need one! o_O

> Outside of this group* I don't know anyone who uses a computer at home
> for anything other than email, Skype, browsing the internet or
> downloading books, films, music, or porn.

What, you don't know any gamers? ;-)

> * And we are special (I know because I went to a special school) ;-)

Vehraaay thpesshul. :-P