POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Old fart? : Re: Old fart? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 22:24:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Old fart?
From: Stephen
Date: 15 Apr 2011 08:34:14
Message: <4da83b46$1@news.povray.org>
On 15/04/2011 11:55 AM, Invisible wrote:
> Then again, back in the 1980s, how many home users had experience of
> computers?

All of them or they wouldn't be users :-P

Most people I knew who bought a home computer then had experience of
them from work.
A question I was often asked was "Why do you want an computer and what
can you do with it?"

> Today, if you buy a new PC, you don't get a manual at all.

Every laptop I have bought has come with either a CD/DVD manual or a
manual installed on the HDD.

> Then again,
> it doesn't [usually] come with any software. Or if it does, it's just a
> copy of Windows. Windows sometimes has a small pamphlet to tell you how
> to work a mouse, and that's about it.

You don't get a manual with a toaster or an electric kettle and that's
what home computers are now a days, white goods.
Outside of this group* I don't know anyone who uses a computer at home
for anything other than email, Skype, browsing the internet or
downloading books, films, music, or porn.

* And we are special (I know because I went to a special school) ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen