POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Disappointed in xbox hardware : Re: Disappointed in xbox hardware Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:20:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Disappointed in xbox hardware
From: Invisible
Date: 15 Apr 2011 04:14:22
Message: <4da7fe5e$1@news.povray.org>
On 14/04/2011 17:03, Darren New wrote:

> I'm pretty sure the individual blocks of jpeg are independent (unlike
> PNG for example). You ought to be able to de-convolve an entire jpeg in
> parallel at least, once you de-huffman it.

I believe they are. Note, however, that "progressive JPEG" exists.
That's where the data is reordered so that you can generate a low-res
preview quickly, after only downloading the first few KB of the file. I
don't know how that affects the ability to process the thing in
parallel. (I'm not sure whether the rearrangement is a simple
permutation, or whether it depends on the data. The former shouldn't
impede parallel processing. The latter would.)