POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Scripting language for multiplatform distribution? : Re: Scripting language for multiplatform distribution? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 08:48:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Scripting language for multiplatform distribution?
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 14 Apr 2011 17:37:09
Message: <4da76905$1@news.povray.org>

> One thing that should be noted is that not all people accept all
> scripting languages equally well, and some may refuse to install
> interpreters for whatever language you choose. I, for instance,
> would hesitate to install a PHP interpreter on my machine, but would
> be ok with Perl, Python or Ruby (and, as you probably guess, have Tcl
>  installed already); I must confess this is an only marginally
> rationalized preference, but I may not be alone with such a
> preference.

   That was exactly my fear about distributing just my handy PHP
script... ;)

> That said, when it comes to writing platform-independent scripts
> with the intention to distribute them, I think the most commonly used
>  language for such a purpose might be Perl.

   Yes, it seems so, but I've already decided in favor of the last of
your options:

> In case you should decide to split up the script into a kind of
> config file and the actual code, Java would probably be the way to
> go.

   Not for that reason, but I finally decided to write it in Java using
Netbeans. I can just distribute a single jar (plus the source code for
the curious), and seems easy enough as to have it finished by tomorrow.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org